Sunday 15 March 2009

Currently reading...

Trying to work out what to submit to the world book. I'll probably submit the story about Nora.

I've started borrowing books from the school library again. Before year 10-ish I always had two or three books out from the library per week, and over time I stopped reading regularly. Maybe it's the new layout of the library, or our cool new librarian, but I've started reading properly again.

The other day I bought two books -
Sara's Face by Melvin Burgess and 


the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

After reading them both, I realised how much I liked just chilling out for an hour reading steadily. The Thief is the first book in a trilogy, and so I went hunting in the library for the sequel since I didn't have it...
Which brought out my inner bibliophile. When I finished The Queen of Attolia  and was searching for a new book, I saw City of Flowers by Mary Hoffman, third in the Stravaganza series. (Now I'm frustrated that I can't read City of secrets, the last one!!!)
I'm horrible with books. I devour them, and I think it's safe to say that I abuse them. I read them wherever and whenever- in the bathroom, on a chair, on the floor, on the bed, in between doing homework, in the kitchen, while I'm eating... I tend to get called while I'm reading as well, so I normally lay the book open and face down on the closest surface (usually this is the floor). This is not good for the spines of books. I also dog-ear every book I read - though now I use a bookmark if I'm reading a book someone has lent me - and I open them as wide as possible to make it easier to read. Needless to say, the books on my bookshelf look very, very well read. There are somethings I NEVER do with books though- I may read while eating, but I never spill things on any book. I NEVER tear pages, or bend the covers backwards. I always take care when I turn the page. 
I borrowed the Queen of Attolia and returned it the next day, and I read City of Flowers and returned that the next day.
Mr Jacques, our librarian recommended two books to me, 

Oranges are not the Only Fruit by Jeannette Winterson

and Thursday's Child by Sonya Hartnett

Since Mr Jacques has been our librarian (end of 2008) there's been an influx of new books (: and one of them is the Wind up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. I saw it and borrowed it. I quite like Murakami, after reading one of his books, the Wild Sheep Chase.
 

So, I am now reading Oranges... and will tell you what I think when it's finished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SARAS FACEEEEEEEEEE